Thursday, May 8, 2008

Westlake "B" Race #5 - A View from the Break

Last night I wrote about my view from the main field and the chase of the break from Tuesday's race. So today, I got an email from Mike L. and ask him how things were in the break with him and Gary. Here's what Mike L. had to say:
"
This is what I remember from the race:

We were all riding as a group for the first several laps when an attack occurred by the other teams. I saw Gary mark the attack and I followed Gary . At that point we looked back and saw Team SBR in the front blocking any chase efforts. That would be the last I would see of the field. There were about 6 or 7 of us in the break (Gary, me, PDQ, Team Solon, Team Case Western, and the others were unattached (Rick Bennett was one of them)). From then on we were running a paceline between all of the people in the break. Gary and I were trying to run a continuous paceline but the others were trying to make us take the lead for a longer time by not moving up. This continued for most of the race at an average of 24.5 mph. With four laps to go, Gary started to attack the group and I was thinking he was trying to form a break away from the others so I would mark his attack. That is not what he was trying to do. He wanted me to get to the back out of the wind. I am still learning. It worked out well though, because every time he would attack we would loose someone off the back and I would have needed to bridge the gap. At this point I could tell that the others were better at shorter races and were getting tired. On the final lap the break was down to 4 and Gary told me to get to the back of the pack and he did another attack around the last corner. I hooked onto the wheel of the last rider and where I stayed until the last 100m when I sprinted around the other two riders to take second... Michael"

Thanks Mike for painting a picture of what happened in the break! Once again, great job Team SBR on Tuesday Night's Race!!!

1 comment:

JimmyNick said...

Good race, guys -- and good race reports! Now we've gotta figure a way to put them up on the website, if that's what you guys would like.

It's interesting to see the tactical side of the game start to take root. The great thing is, that never ends. We will never know all there is to know -- especially because each race is different.

JN